Brendan Smialowski | AFP | Getty Images
John McEntee, special assistant and personal aide follows US President Donald Trump to Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base September 27, 2017 in Maryland.
President Donald Trump’s personal assistant, John McEntee, was fired on Monday for unspecified security reasons and was removed from the White House, according to a Tuesday report from the Wall Street Journal.
Now, he has joined Trump’s re-election campaign.
McEntee, who served on Trump’s winning presidential campaign starting in 2015, joined the administration after the election. He was escorted off the White House grounds on Monday over an “unspecified security issue,” the Journal reported, citing sources.
A CNN reporter later tweeted, citing a source familiar with the matter, that McEntee was terminated because the Homeland Security Department is investigating him for “serious financial crimes” that are not related to Trump.
The news of McEntee’s firing came just minutes after reports that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson had been booted after more than a year as America’s top diplomat.
McEntee has joined the Trump re-election campaign as a senior advisor, the campaign said in a release. The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for additional comment on McEntee’s hiring.
The re-election effort also announced Tuesday that Katrina Pierson, Trump’s national spokeswoman during the 2016 presidential race, will also serve as a senior advisor for the 2020 campaign. During Trump’s first year as president, Pierson worked with America First Policies, a pro-Trump nonprofit with deep connections to the White House, the Trump campaign and the Republican National Committee.
“We’re getting very close to having the Cabinet and other things that I want,” Trump said outside the White House on Tuesday.
Before entering Trump’s orbit, McEntee was the starting quarterback for the University of Connecticut’s football team for 12 games during the Huskies’ lackluster 2011 season.