Police officers stand guard on the Las Ramblas boulevard in Barcelona on August 19, 2017, two days after a van ploughed into the crowd, killing 13 persons and injuring over 100.

PASCAL GUYOT | AFP | Getty Images

Police officers stand guard on the Las Ramblas boulevard in Barcelona on August 19, 2017, two days after a van ploughed into the crowd, killing 13 persons and injuring over 100.

The main suspect in the Barcelona van attack that killed 13 people last week, 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub, was arrested on Monday in Sant Sadurni de Noya, west of Barcelona, Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia said.

Spanish police declined to confirm the report but said on Twitter shortly before that an “incident” was underway in Subirats, 10 km (6 miles) away, without giving further details.

Several Spanish media, including Cadena Ser radio, said one man wearing an explosive belt had been shot dead in Subirats.

Follow CNBC International on Twitter and Facebook.

Source

NO COMMENTS